Apertura 09 to start this week

soccernet.com

Argentina strikes deal with govt to show games

The Argentine soccer federation approved a deal with the government on Tuesday to broadcast games free on television, a week after it tore up a contract with a private cable TV provider.

The start of the country’s soccer season has been delayed due to a financial crisis that drove the Argentine Football Association (AFA) to scrap its previous multimillion dollar deal because the broadcaster refused to pay more for the television rights.

However, AFA said in a statement that its executive committee had approved a plan “for games to be broadcast free on non-cable television.” It said the details had yet to be defined, but that the season would begin at the weekend.

The agreement marks the latest in a string of government moves to increase state control of various economic sectors.

Media speculation of a deal between the AFA and President Cristina Fernandez in recent days has drawn criticism from the opposition, which says her foray into football smacks of populism and is politically motivated.

The previous broadcast contract was held by the TSC media group — a partnership between TyC sports broadcaster media conglomerate Clarin , whose daily newspaper has been increasingly critical of her government.

Argentina’s soccer season had been due to start on Aug. 14 but AFA chiefs halted it after the union representing footballers said clubs owed players about $8 million.

The global financial crisis has forced Argentine clubs to sell players to Europe for a fraction of years past, although fans accuse some clubs of bad management.

AFA spokesman Ernesto Cherquis Bialo said the first games of the season would now take place on Friday.

“The channels that will broadcast the games and the times that this will happen will be decided at a meeting tomorrow (Wednesday),” he told reporters.

Local media had reported the government would have to spend around $150 million to screen the games on state television, but Cherquis Bialo said the state would not have to put up any money.

—————-

Télam

Reunión entre Gobierno y AFA: acuerdan que el fútbol arranca el viernes

El secretario Legal y Técnico de la Presidencia, Carlos Zanini, recibió en la Rosada a los dirigentes de la entidad.

Se presentó una propuesta para que se asocien la AFA y una sociedad del Estado para la transmisión de partidos.

El Comité Ejecutivo de AFA confirmó que este fin de semana “se televisarán los diez partidos de la primera fecha del torneo Apertura, gratuitamente y por canales de aire”.

“Se emitirán dos partidos el viernes, cuatro el sábado y cuatro el domingo, todos por televisión abierta, Canal 7 y otros canales de aire”, precisó esta noche el vocero de AFA, Ernesto Cherquis Bialo.

También arrancarán todos los torneos de ascenso, pero con transmisiones televisivas a cargo de Torneos y Competencias (TyC), y solamente para la Primera B Nacional y Primera B Metropolitana.

De todas formas, y si prospera el amparo que presentará TyC debido a la abrupta interrupción del contrato vigente, la AFA postergaría nuevamente el inicio de los certámenes.

La semana pasada, TyC ya había presentado un recurso similar pero fue rechazado porque todavía no había llegado ninguna información oficial sobre la ruptura del vínculo.

En tanto, y durante esta tarde, representantes del ente rector del fútbol local estuvieron en la Casa de Gobierno, donde recibieron un borrador del nuevo contrato, que contempla la creación de una sociedad mixta.

Participaron de ese cónclave varios directivos de los clubes, encabezados por el secretario ejecutivo de la AFA, José Luis Meiszner, mientras que por parte del gobierno estuvieron el secretario Legal y Técnico, Carlos Zanini, y el director de Medios Públicos, Tristán Bauer.

Allí se confirmó la idea de firmar un convenio asociativo con el Estado referido a la comercialización de los derechos de televisación de los campeonatos oficiales, para luego vendérselos a otras compañías, nacionales o extranjeras.

El titular de la AFA, Julio Grondona, impulsó la rescisión del contrato con las productoras Torneos y Competencias (TyC) y Televisión Satelital Codificada (TSC) por un supuesto “incumplimiento de contrato”, que se concretó la semana anterior.

Las dos empresas, pertenecientes al grupo Clarín, iban a pagar 268 millones de pesos por toda la temporada, aunque desde la entidad de la calle Viamonte pretenden el doble.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: